iiley February 13th, 2007
What and How
AsWing A3 is powerful
- 1. Well MVC structure, for most components, date is stored and managed with model interface/class, skin is painted by UI class, interative is managed by UI class, and UI class is managed by LookAndFeel class. It’s light coupled.
- 2. More than 40 components is developed, include complex component like JTree, JTable and JColorChooser.
- 3. Keyboard navigating, shortcut key is well supported.
- 4. AsWing A3 is not pure ported AsWing A2, it was redesigned, include core paint system, LookAndFeel system, focus, cursor, event are all improved.
AsWing A3 is flexible:
- 1. The framework is build with pure ActionScript classes, so you can compile it with both Flex compiler and Flash CS3 compiler.
- 2. You can add any DisplayObject to any AsWing component simply with addChild method. (you can’t do this for flex components)
- 3. You can add any AsWing component to any DisplayObjectContainer, for example, your game UI is constructed by pure Flash Way(i mean the UI is created by Flash Authoring Tool, it is a regular MovieClips), you can locate a JTree in your game UI simple with addChild(theTree). (in my test, we can’t do this with flex components)
- 4. You can custom the Skins by easy way with SkinBuilderLAF project, edit the images or the the fla file and then compile.
- 5. You can changed the skin at runtime, you can apply a skin to a single component to make it different from others.
- 5. You can wrap a SimpleButton created by Flash Authoring Tool to be skin for a button simply with JButton.wrapSimpleButton(theSimpleButton), same to JToggleButton, JCheckBox etc.
AsWing A3 is stable
- 1. AsWing have been in developing since 2005, about 3 years developing, it now is more and more stable.
- 2. Commercial companies choose AsWing, at the showcase page, you can see some of their products.
- 3. There’s developers use AsWing every day, for the flexible of Open Source, we fix bugs, improve features any time if we received feedbacks from our mail list. We are improving AsWing every day.
When AsWing A3 is better suit for you?(compare to flex UI framework)
- You are developing a game UI(mean you may want to manage assets super easily/freely with component, like add a asset into JButton, or add a JList to your IDE created panel.
- Your application will only can compiled with Flash CS3(AsWing A3 can be compiled by both Flash and Flex compiler).
- You don’t want to code in MXML.
- You are familar with java Swing(you’ll be able to use AsWing easily with a short learning time).
- You are developing a application which UI’s is very dynamic, runtime create, destroy, change skin, layout components.
- You need a stable framework and feedback/bugfix from the authors should be quickly in hours.
- You don’t like flex UI framework, but you do need a powerful UI framework.
When AsWing A3 is not suit for you?(compare to any thing)
- This is not a case : “You don’t like Swing”, because AsWing does not have to be compatible with AWT, it is light-weight, so the core is different.
- You don’t like AsWing after you used it deeply.
- You like other UI frameworks, and they are enough for your use.
- You hate open source projects :P.
- You don’t really need UI frameworks.